The Commonwealth of Virginia Board of Education met on Wednesday, July 25, 2013. Several items under the Action/Discussion categories followed by reports were reviewed publicly by the Board. The following are items of interest for VASSP members:
Agenda Item B: Final Review of Proposed Growth Indicators in Response to the 2013 Acts of Assembly
Since first review of the proposed growth indicators by the Board on June 27, 2013, the following changes have been made to the policy statement:
a. The reference to the “percent of students” achieving each indicator has been removed to clarify that these are indicators that reflect growth for individual students. Language indicating the percent of students achieving the indicators may be used in the growth component of the grading formula.
b. The introduction of the high school section has been revised to clarify the focus of the high school indicators on college and career readiness.
c. The high school indicators have been revised to focus on individual students in the Virginia on-time graduation rate cohort (9th grade cohort) rather than graduates. This change is intended to make it clear students who were in the the 9th grade cohort and dropped out before graduating will be included in the growth factor of the school grading component.
d. The high school indicator regarding the percent of students participating in an AP, IB or dual enrollment courses out of the total number of 11th and 12th grade students (participants also include students in grades 9-10) has been removed to reflect on student level indicators. This indicator may be used as a school level growth indicator in the grading formula.
Agenda Item C : Final Review of Permanent Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to replace the Emergency Amendments Required by HB 1061 and SB 489 (2012) (Proposed Stage)
This item, referred to as the “Diploma Bill” in DOE language, sets forth the changes for graduation requirements. This proposed regulation will pass through executive review, public comment and will be returned to the Board for final review and approval. Among the policies included in this agenda item are:
- Beginning 2013-2014, first- time ninth graders must earn a career and technical education credential in order to graduate with a standard diploma.
- The Modified Standard Diploma will be folded into the Standard Diploma. Credit accomodations for students with disabilities will be established by the BOE.
- Students pursuing a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma will successfully complete one virtual course.
- The Advanced Studies Diploma shall be recommended for students pursuing baccalaureate study.
Agenda Item D : First Review of Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) (Proposed Stage)
In the 2012 and 2013 General Assembly sessions, several bills were passed that are now reflected in changes in educational procedures, policies, programs and safety guidelines in this item. Among them are:
- Student achievement expectations for SOL assessments
- Additional clarifications to diploma requirements
- Instructional programs in middle and secondary schools
- Clock hour requirements for standard credits and replaced with “demonstration of mastery of course content”
- Role of principal to include determining strategies necessary to close the achievement gap
- Lockdown drills increased to two per academic year
- Notice to parents about any sensitive or explicit materials included in course content or textbooks
- Several accreditation rating issues
This is the first review of the material in Item D. Action will be taken on this item during the October 24, 2013 Board meeting. You may want to review all of the material and information in this one piece of educational policy changes.
You may access all of the Board meeting items by going to: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/meetings/2013/07_jul/agenda.shtml